skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Maintenance and repairs

Housing SA will normally carry out and pay for repairs resulting from fair wear and tear. It is important that tenants notify Housing SA as soon as any repair is needed.

Urgent repairs, such as a gas leak or burst water pipes, may be reported at any time by telephoning 131 288.

Non-urgent repairs may be reported by telephoning 131 288 between 7am and 7pm or by using the online report form.

The tenant must pay the cost of any repairs which, in Housing SA's opinion, are not the result of fair wear and tear. The tenant is also responsible for keeping the dwelling in good rentable condition. This means that the tenant must pay the cost of repairs to damaged windows, screens, fences and gates, of clearing blocked drains and of replacing plugs, light globes or lost keys. Where damage is caused by the tenant's family or visitors Housing SA will also require the tenant to pay.

Tenants may wallpaper interior walls, lay floor coverings and hang pictures. However, the tenant must repair any damage caused by doing these things. Trust officers are available to advise tenants on appropriate methods and materials. The tenant must have Housing SA's approval before making any additions or alterations to the premises.

More information on maintenance and repairs is available from Housing SA, via the SA Gov- Maintenance of Public Housing website.

Maintenance and repairs  :  Last Revised: Tue Jun 26th 2018
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.