skip to content
Law Handbook banner image

Rooming Houses

The Residential Tenancies Act 1995 (SA) provides limited protection for residents (boarders and lodgers) of rooming houses [see ss 103-105W], but only in the following specific circumstances. A rooming house is defined as rooms that are available for a residential purpose on a commercial basis for at least three people [see Residential Tenancies Act 1995 (SA) s 3]. Boarding arrangements in private homes would only be covered by the Act, therefore, if there are three or more boarders. There are no proposals for this Act to cover other boarders and lodgers and the only relevant law is the common law, see Boarders and lodgers.

The following pages in this chapter will cover house rules, obligations of proprietors and tenants, rent increases and termination of agreements (including where someone abandons the property) as applicable to rooming houses.

Rooming Houses  :  Last Revised: Mon Oct 15th 2018
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.