- At the scene of the accident
- Assessing the damage - if other driver at fault
- Assessing the damage - if you are at fault
- Contacting the other driver or their insurance company
- Dealing with the other driver's claim
- Determining fault and how much money to be paid
- Reaching a settlement
- Dealing with insurance companies
- The settlement
- Legal proceedings
- Written-off vehicles
This section provides details on what to do if you have been involved in an accident and how to recover the cost of repairs to a motor vehicle. For a complete guide to handling your own motor vehicle claim see our Motor Vehicle Accident Kit.*
*Please note, as an amendment to the Motor Vehicle Accident Kit, the increase in the limit for minor civil claims in the Magistrates Court of South Australia, which is now for claims under $12 000.
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.