skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image


Types of insurance

Compulsory Third Party Bodily Injury Insurance

This type of insurance is paid when you pay for the registration of your vehicle. It covers injury to other people resulting from the liability of an owner, driver or passenger of the vehicle.

Third Party Property Damage Insurance

This type of insurance is not compulsory but it is recommended that every car should have it as minimum cover. Even if your car itself is not worth much money, there is still a risk that if you hit someone else’s vehicle you may be liable for expensive repairs.

Third Party Property insurance covers damage to other vehicles or property resulting when the driver of your vehicle is negligent. This type of insurance does not cover damage to your own vehicle.

It is also possible to get Third Party Property Damage Extension insurance for circumstances where the other person is at fault for the accident, can be identified and is not insured. However, this is normally limited to a certain amount.

Third Party Property Damage, Fire and Theft

In addition to Third Party Property Damage the insured vehicle is also covered for fire and theft.

Comprehensive Insurance

This type of insurance covers third party property damage AND damage or loss to your own vehicle.

Insurance  :  Last Revised: Thu Sep 20th 2007
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.