skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Justices of the Peace

Justices of the Peace can witness legal documents including statutory declarations and affidavits, as well as certifying true copies of a document. Their services are provided without charge. Notaries public also witness legal documents but primarily documents that are for use in foreign courts or by foreign authorities. Notaries public can charge for their services. Justice of the Peace Services which is part of the Attorney-general's Department is responsible for the administration of the application, appointment, conduct and removal of Justices of the Peace.

Who can be a JP?

Anyone can be a JP as long as they are over 18, a South Australian resident, of good character, understand their duties and powers, can speak English well enough to understand documents, their duties and seek advice where necessary, and they must not be a bankrupt nor be disqualified from managing a corporation. They too must live or work in an area that requires a JP. A JP is appointed by the Attorney-General [see Justices of the Peace Act 2005 (SA) s 4 and Justices of the Peace Regulations 2006 (SA) reg 4].

What are the powers and duties of a JP?

The main duty of a JP is to act as an independent and objective witness for legal documents and proceedings. This includes witnessing or attesting the execution of a document, take an affidavit or statutory declaration, certify a true copy of an original document and certifying the identity of a person. For more information see the Justice of the Peace Handbook.

Code of Conduct

JPs must comply with a code of conduct [see Justices of the Peace Regulations 2006 (SA) sch 1]. This includes not charging a fee for services, acting within their powers, not divulging confidential informationand not acting where they have a conflict of interest. Importantly, they can not administer an oath, witness an instrument or take a declaration from a person they believe does not hold the mental capacity to do so. For more information see the Justice of the Peace Code of Conduct.

How can I complain about a JP?

A complaint can be made if a JP has breached or failed to comply with a condition of employment or breaches or fails to comply with the code of conduct, or with the Justices of the Peace Act 2005 (SA) [see s 11]. Complaints are made to Justice of the Peace Services and can result in the JP being reprimanded, imposing further conditions on their appointment or suspended. In certain circumstances a JP can be removed from office, in cases such as being convicted of a criminal offence, becoming bankrupt, being physically or mentally unfit for office, or in the Attorney-General's opinion should be removed for any other reason [see Jucitces of the Peace Act 2005 (SA) s 11].


Justice of the Peace Services

Find a Justice of the Peace (JP) in South Australia

Royal Association of Justices of SA

Telephone: 8224 0377

Notaries Public

See Notaries—Public in the Yellow Pages or contact the Law Society on 8229 0200 for referrals

Justices of the Peace  :  Last Revised: Tue Jun 5th 2018
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.