skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Minor Domestic Building Work

Building work contracts with a value of less than $12,000 are considered to be minor under the Building Work Contractors Act 1995 (SA), and are therefore not subject to the same requirements.

For example, there is no legislative requirement to have a written contract, or building indemnity insurance. However, builders and other trades such as electricians and plumbers must be appropriately licensed to do the work.

The statutory warranties set out in section 32 of the Building Work Contractors Act 1995 (SA) apply whether or not the work is considered minor. Further consumer protection is offered under the Australian Consumer Law, which also applies building work and includes statutory guarantees for both goods and services. For more information see Consumer Protections.

Builders doing minor work may have their own terms and conditions and it is wise to read the terms carefully before agreeing to use the builder. Be careful about paying a large deposit before work commences, and be prepared to shop around.

Businesses sometimes sell renovations and home improvements door to door, including roof restoration, roller shutters and blinds, and solar panels. Consumers have extensive rights under the unsolicited consumer agreements provisions of the Australian Consumer Law in relation to door to door sales, including a mandatory 10 business day cooling off period.

For more information about rights regarding door to door sales, see Unsolicited Consumer Agreements.

Minor Domestic Building Work  :  Last Revised: Thu Nov 19th 2015
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.