skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Complaints against energy and water suppliers

Energy and Water Ombudsman SA

The Energy and Water Ombudsman SA (opens new window) (the EWOSA) can investigate and resolve domestic and business consumer complaints against energy and water suppliers that are members of the EWOSA scheme. Members of the EWOSA scheme are licensed under either the Electricity Act 1996 (SA), the Gas Act 1997 (SA) or the Water Industry Act 2012 (SA).

For a list of current members check the contacts on the EWOSA website (opens new window).

Before making a complaint to the Ombudsman, you must first attempt to resolve your complaint with your suppplier. You should keep a record of all of your communications with the supplier, including the name of the person you communicated with, the date and time and receipt number, if any. If you are still unsatisfied with the outcome, you may then make a complaint.

The following are examples of the sorts of complaints the EWOSA may be able to assit with:

  • billing
  • credit
  • connections
  • supply
  • marketing
  • transfer
  • customer service

Complaints may be made by telephone, fax, post or email or by using the online complaint form (opens new window).

The EWOSA cannot assist with complaints about government policies, codes or legislation, energy or water pricing policies or tariff structures, consumer contributions to the cost of capital works, on-selling to tenants, supply interruptions caused by emergencies or complaints already before a court, tribunal or arbitrator.

Essential Services Commission of South Australia

The Essential Services Commission of South Australia (opens new window) was established by the Essential Services Commission Act 2002 (SA).The Commission is responsible for licensing and compliance of suppliers, performance monitoring and consumer protection under the relevant industry legislation (see above). It can create industry codes and guidelines and conduct reviews and inquires. It may be possible to bring matters the Ombudsman cannot assist with to the attention of the Commission.

Certain decisions of the Essential Services Commission of South Australia (such as those relating to relating to electricity, gas or water supply) can also be reviewed by the South Australian Civil and Administrative Appeals Tribunal (SACAT).

Complaints against energy and water suppliers  :  Last Revised: Tue Mar 3rd 2020
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.