skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Complaints against traders

Consumer and Business Services

Consumer and Business Services (CBS) can assist with certain complaints about goods and services that were advertised and purchased in South Australia.

Consumers are advised to try to resolve the problem by talking directly to the trader first, and if that is unsuccessful, to put the complaint and possible solutions to the trader in writing. It is wise to ask for a response within a reasonable time frame and to give the trader an opportunity to fix the problem. CBS has suggestions about the best way to approach the trader on their website, which include sample draft letters of complaint.

Consumers who have tried to resolve the dispute themselves and been unsuccessful can contact CBS and explain the steps they have already undertaken. CBS may send the consumer a ‘request for assistance’ form and may be able to assist them to negotiate through a dispute resolution process. CBS’s Consumer section provides a good summary of the process.

CBS does not have the power to make legally binding decisions. Only the courts can do this. If the dispute resolution process is unsuccessful, the CBS case officer may provide advice about other options if the consumer wants to take the matter further.

CBS also has a Compliance and Enforcement Policy which sets out how it will approach breaches of consumer protection legislation by traders in South Australia.

Complaints against traders  :  Last Revised: Tue Nov 15th 2016
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.