skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Alternative dispute resolution services

There is a range of alternative dispute resolution service providers available in South Australia. Some organizations provide mediators in particular areas of dispute, for example, family or community. Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) has now been incorporated into many of our courts and tribunals. In addition, a number of trained individuals provide private arbitration, mediation and other ADR services.

Uniting Communities Mediation Service

Community mediation, run by Uniting Communities Mediation Service, provides people with an alternative to court action. Although the service gets some government funding, it is not run by a government agency and has no power to force people to attend or stick to any agreement that is reached. The kinds of matters handled include neighbour, strata title, community organisation, care management, workplace, and disability related disputes. The service is provided free of charge to eligible people. Interpreters can be provided when necessary. Mediation can be provided in some regional areas and in various locations around Adelaide. For more information, contact Uniting Communities Mediation Service on 8342 1800.

Family Mediation

There are a number of individuals who practice family mediation. Organisations such as Relationships Australia and Centacare also provide family mediation services.

Family mediation is now regulated under the Family Law Act 1975 . Mediation providers must abide by certain guidelines and meet conditions which include professional training to ensure high quality service.

Commercial and Other Mediation Services

LEADR is a national non-profit organisation which promotes and facilitates the use of Alternative Dispute Resolution. LEADR conducts negotiation, mediation and conciliation training and maintains panels of LEADR accredited mediators. People who are looking for someone to conduct a commercial or other mediation may contact LEADR or the Law Society of South Australia for a list of accredited mediators with details as to what they charge, their experience and the areas in which they practice. see .

Alternative Dispute Resolution in South Australian Courts and Tribunals

Under various Acts of Parliament and rules of Court (some of which are listed below), there are ways for disputes which have reached court or been submitted to a tribunal to be solved before a hearing takes place. These provisions consider the use of case evaluation and settlement conferences, mediation, conciliation, arbitration and expert determination.

    Alternative dispute resolution services  :  Last Revised: Tue May 23rd 2006
    The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.