skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Migration Agents

Most people who give migration advice in Australia are required to be registered migration agents. This system was introduced to protect people from unscrupulous migration advisers.

Agents must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). Via the MARA website a person can search for a registered migration agent, make a complaint about a registered agent, and locate other relevant information. Complaints about unlawful operators who provide migration assistance are beyond the remit of MARA and should be reported to the Department of Home Affairs- Border Watch website.

It is an offence to provide advice about visa applications or sponsorship or assist in the preparation of visa applications without being a registered migration agent or falling under one of the exceptional categories.

Migration Agents  :  Last Revised: Fri Oct 12th 2018
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.