skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Compensation for Victims

Where a person is convicted of the sexual assault, the victim has the right to make a claim for compensation for any loss or injury (including psychological injury) caused by the offence. Compensation can be sought directly against the offender, either as a separate action or the judge who has heard the criminal case and who will be aware of the particular facts of the assault can make an order for compensation. Alternatively, a claim can be made for victims of crime compensation. Either claim can be made up to three years after the date the offence took place, see : Victims of crime compensation.

See also the Commissioner for Victim's Rights website.

A person may seek compensation for child abuse they suffered through either a civil claim, or through the National Redress Scheme for Survivors of Institutional Child Sexual Abuse. See the Law Handbook page on Victims of Child Abuse for more information, or visit the National Redress Scheme website.

Compensation for Victims  :  Last Revised: Fri Feb 8th 2019
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.