skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Court applications

In general, the child support scheme is an administrative scheme which is designed to operate without the need for court applications. However, there are some circumstances in which a party may make an application to a court in relation to child support matters. The most common situations are listed below:

Child Support Legislation and Family Law Act 1975 (Cth)

Paternity Matters: either parent can apply to a court to resolve disputes involving paternity of children and entitlement to child support. The court may order DNA parentage testing in these cases. If a payer is excluded from paternity, a court may order the payee to repay child support paid by the payer.

Application for Leave to Change an Assessment that is more than 18 months old: a Court can give leave or permission to change an assessment that is more than 18 months old, but not more than 7 years old.

Court Review of AAT Decisions: Where a parent is dissatisfied with a decision by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, an appeal can be made to a court but only on a question of law.

Child Support Agreements: Applications can be made to set aside child support agreements.

Lump Sum Applications: In limited circumstances, a court may order the payment of child support in a lump sum.

Stays Orders: An order to stay (or suspend) collection of child support can be sought from the court in limited circumstances. Alternative administrative remedies apply in some circumstances.

Maintenance Orders: Court orders and agreements can be made under the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) for various types of maintenance payments, including maintenance for:

  • Adult children (over 18) who are studying or have a mental or physical disability
  • Children (under 18) who are living independently and applying for maintenance in their own right
  • Step-children (step child maintenance)
  • Spouses (spousal maintenance)
  • Some cases where the payer is overseas

Enforcement Proceedings: A court can make orders to enforce the payment of a child support or maintenance debt.

Legal advice should be sought before making an application to a court. Applicants should seek advice about the relative merit of their case, and the risk of having a costs order made against them if their application is unsuccessful.

Court applications  :  Last Revised: Thu Jun 25th 2015
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.