skip to content
Law Handbook banner image

Enforcement and collection

An agreement which has been appropriately drafted and executed, and which provides for the periodic payment of child support can be registered for collection with DHS-Child Support. Agreements for non-periodic payments (such as school fees) cannot be enforced by the DHS-Child Support.

The Department cannot enforce verbal agreements.

An agreement cannot exclude collection of the liability by the Department of Human Services – Child Support, even if expressed to do so. If the payments are not made voluntarily in accordance with the agreement, the payee can ask DHS-Child Support to commence collection of periodic payments.

Enforcement and collection  :  Last Revised: Mon Oct 27th 2014
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.