skip to content
Law Handbook banner image

Can children apply?

Children can also apply for parenting orders (not including child maintenance orders) from the Family Law Courts [Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) ss 64B and 65C(b)].

A child who applies for parenting orders must have a case guardian (also known as a next friend), unless the court is satisfied that the child understands the nature and possible consequences of their case and is capable of conducting it. If a child applies without a case guardian, the court may appoint one [Family Law Rules 2004 r 6.08]. Any adult that has no interest adverse to that of the child and who can fairly and competently conduct the case for the child may consent to being a case guardian [r 6.09].

The court may order the case guardian to pay costs [r 6.13] or that costs of a case guardian be paid by another party to the proceedings or from the income or property, if any, of the child [r 6.14].

Can children apply?  :  Last Revised: Fri May 30th 2014
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.