skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Can children apply?

Children can also apply for parenting orders (not including child maintenance orders) from the Family Law Courts [Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) ss 64B and 65C(b)].

A child who applies for parenting orders must have a case guardian (also known as a next friend), unless the court is satisfied that the child understands the nature and possible consequences of their case and is capable of conducting it. If a child applies without a case guardian, the court may appoint one [Family Law Rules 2004 r 6.08]. Any adult that has no interest adverse to that of the child and who can fairly and competently conduct the case for the child may consent to being a case guardian [r 6.09].

The court may order the case guardian to pay costs [r 6.13] or that costs of a case guardian be paid by another party to the proceedings or from the income or property, if any, of the child [r 6.14].

Can children apply?  :  Last Revised: Fri May 30th 2014
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.