skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Arrangements for children

The Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) encourages parents to resolve disputes without going to court and, where possible, to have cooperative and shared parenting after separation.

Family law proceedings for all children, whether their parents are married or not, are covered by the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) [Part VII] and all references in this section are to this Act unless stated otherwise.

Under the Act each parent has parental responsibility for their children until they attain the age of 18 years (or earlier if the child marries). This responsibility is not diminished by any orders made in respect of the parenting of the child except to the extent specifically provided in the order.

For a list of family dispute resolution services in South Australia, see the Family Dispute Resolution Provider Register maintained by the Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department.

If a court application is necessary, the Federal Circuit Court or the Family Court can deal with matters in relation to children. See Which Court?

The Commonwealth Attorney General's Department have a comprehensive guide to Parenting Orders available on the Attorney-General's website- see Parenting Orders- What You Need to Know.

Arrangements for children  :  Last Revised: Fri May 4th 2018
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.