skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Getting help from other services

For information on domestic and family violence and the law in Australia, including the details of family violence support services, visit the Family Violence Law Help website.

Financial assistance

Depending on individual circumstances, a person may be eligible for Centrelink income support payment/s, such as Newstart Allowance or Parenting Payment and Rent Assistance. A victim of domestic violence may also be eligible for a once-off Crisis Payment. For more information, see the Department of Human Services/Centrelink website, or seeCentrelink - Special Provisions for People Experiencing Family Violence.

Further financial assistance may be obtained through the Department for Child Protection and/or agencies such as UnitingCommunities, the Salvation Army, Centacare or St Vincent de Paul Society. It is best to check with these organisations to determine the most appropriate assistance. A comprehensive directory of South Australian community organisations is available online at SA Community.

Housing assistance

Housing SA has a private rental assistance program to help with expenses such as bond and rent in advance. For more information, see the SA Government Housing SA website.

There are a number of community housing associations which may be able to offer housing. Those who have experienced family violence are eligible to apply for housing from the Women's Community Housing Association Inc. For a list of all South Australian community housing associations see the SA Government Community Housing Providers website.

Immigration advice

A person who is on a spouse visa, and separates from their spouse on account of family violence, will need to obtain immigration advice. There are provisions to allow such people to continue with an application for a permanent visa even though they may have separated from their spouse who sponsored them. For more information see the Department of Social Services Family Safety Pack and Family Violence and Partner Visas Factsheet(both available in multiple languages).

Counselling or family therapy

Most Women's Health Centres and Community Health Centres provide opportunities for women to have individual counselling or to speak to women in similar circumstances. Counsellors are also available through Centacare, Anglicare, Uniting Communities, Relationships Australia and other counselling services. There are also some domestic violence groups for men that specialise in counselling men who recognise that they are perpetrators of abuse and who wish to take some positive steps to change the situation.

In an emergency: 000

For police attendance: 131 444

Domestic Violence Crisis Line: 1800 800 098

1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732.

Getting help from other services  :  Last Revised: Mon Mar 18th 2019
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.