skip to content
Law Handbook banner image

Compensation for Victims

Where a person is convicted of the sexual assault, the victim has the right to make a claim for compensation for any loss or injury (including psychological injury) caused by the offence. Compensation can be sought directly against the offender, either as a separate action or the judge who has heard the criminal case and who will be aware of the particular facts of the assault can make an order for compensation. Alternatively, a claim can be made for victims of crime compensation. Either claim can be made up to three years after the date the offence took place, see : Victims of crime compensation.

See also the Commissioner for Victim's Rights website.

Compensation for Victims  :  Last Revised: Tue Dec 20th 2016
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.