skip to content
Law Handbook banner image

Urgent building work

The Development Act 1993 (SA) allows urgent building work that is needed to protect any person or building or in other prescribed circumstances. Where work is undertaken the relevant authorities must be notified as soon as possible and the person must apply for development authorisation. If development authorisation is refused, the land or building affected by the work must be returned, so far as is practicable, to its previous condition [Development Act 1993 (SA) s 54].

Where a developer receives an approval and commences the work, then ceases the work and leaves the building partially completed, the council can apply to the court for an order that the developer complete the building or demolish it [Development Act 1993 (SA) ss 55,56]. If the developer fails to comply with the court order the council can itself carry out the work and then take proceedings to recover the costs of so doing.

Urgent building work  :  Last Revised: Wed Aug 27th 2014
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.