skip to content
Law Handbook banner image

Changing accommodation

If Housing SA considers that the accommodation provided to a tenant is no longer appropriate to the tenant's needs it can ask the tenant to transfer to a more appropriate dwelling. In this situation Housing SA always tries to find accommodation that the tenant agrees is more suitable.

A tenant who has been living in their present home for at least three years can apply for a transfer to a vacant dwelling. Housing SA may approve a Category 1 or 2 transfer where the tenant has an urgent need for a transfer or where their current accommodation is unsuitable in the long term. More information is available from Housing SA via the website.

Housing SA also operates a scheme through which approved tenants can exchange houses, but this will only be approved if the dwellings involved are appropriate to the needs of the exchanging tenants. Tenants approved for an exchange must also accept responsibility for the costs of any necessary repairs on their present home that are not the result of wear and tear. More information on tenant exchanges is available from Housing SA (see Transfers and Relocations under the Public Housing section of the website).

Private rental assistance  :  Last Revised: Fri Dec 23rd 2016
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.